History

The Mesón Cuevas del Vino Restaurant – Museum is located in an old farm estate from the late 18th Century. The main activity was once oil and wine production. Different cereal crops were also stored in it, awaiting market. Which is why the house had many different areas, destined to milling, wineries, cellars, caves, grain storage and housing, as well as many workplaces, mainly vineyards and olive groves.

 

 

The mills, where oil was pressed, is made up of three rooms. The main area, where the round grind-stones, used for grinding the olives, and are the room’s namesake, are in the middle of the hall, alongside the Roman Press; The “Atroje”, where the olives were stored until they were to be milled; and the harvest room, where the end product was stored, awaiting distribution.

 
 
 

The areas destined to wine production, the estate’s main product, occupied a much larger surface… Grape vats for pressing the grapes, the wineries, where the wine was produced and the cellars or caves where the wine was aged.

As well as the former two uses, the estate also had stables, haystacks, several grain warehouses and a blacksmith’s.

 
 
 
 

During the Civil War (1936 – 1939), due to lack of manpower and due to the destructive effects of the war, production activity at the estate ceased. Later, oil production would be re-established, until 1952, when activity at the estate ceased and closed.

At the beginning of the 60’s the estate was refurbished and the house adapted to become a restaurant. It opened in 1964.

 

 

 

PUBLICAMEDIA.COM DISEÑO DE PÁGINAS WEB
AVISO LEGAL